[Python-Dev] Thoughts fresh after EuroPython

Glenn Linderman glenn at nevcal.com
Wed Sep 8 07:00:15 CEST 2010

  On 7/26/2010 7:36 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> According to CSP advicates, this approach will break down when you
> need more than 8-16 cores since cache coherence breaks down at 16
> cores. Then you would have to figure out a message-passing approach
> (but the messages would have to be very fast).

Catching up on Python-Dev after 3 months of travel (lucky me!), so
apologies for a "blast from the past" as I'm 6 weeks late in replying here.

Think of the hardware implementation of cache coherence as a MIL -
memory interleave lock, or a micro interpreter lock (the hardware is
interpreting what the compiled software is doing).

That is not so different than Python's GIL, just at a lower level.

I didn't read the CSP advocacy papers, but experience in early parallel
system at CMU, Tandem Computers, and Teradata strongly imply that
multiprocessing of some sort will always be able to scale larger than
memory coherent cores -- if the application can be made parallel at all.

It is interesting to note that all the parallel systems mentioned above
implemented fast message passing hardware of various sorts (affected by
available technologies of their times).

It is interesting to note the similarities between some of the extreme
multi-way cache coherence approaches and the various message passing
hardware, also... some of the papers that talk about exceeding 16 cores
were going down a message passing road to achieve it.  Maybe something
new has been discovered in the last 8 years since I've not been
following the research... the only thing I've read about that in the
last 8 years is the loss of Jim Gray at sea... but the IEEE paper you
posted later seems to confirm my suspicions that there has not yet been
a breakthrough.

The point of the scalability remark, though, is that while lots of
problems can be solved on a multi-core system, problems also grow
bigger, and there will likely always be problems that cannot be solved
on a multi-core (single cache coherent memory) system.  Those problems
will require message passing solutions.  Experience with the systems
above has shown that switching from a multi-core (semaphore based)
design to a message passing design is usually a rewrite.

Perhaps the existence of the GIL, forcing a message passing solution to
be created early, is a blessing in disguise for the design of large
scale applications.  I've been hearing about problems for which the data
is too large to share, and the calculation is too complex to parallelize
for years, but once the available hardware is exhausted as the problem
grows, the only path to larger scale is message passing parallelism...
forcing a redesign of applications that outgrew the available hardware.

That said, applications that do fit in available hardware generally can
run a little faster with some sort of shared memory approach: message
passing does have overhead.

--
Glenn