[Python-Dev] PEP 3149 thoughts

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 5 19:22:02 CEST 2010

I know the PEP is accepted, but I would still like to see some
changes/clarifications.

1. What is the effect of this PEP on Windows? Is this a Linux-only
   feature? If not, who is going to provide the changes for Windows?
   (More specifically: if this is indeed meant for Windows, and
   if no Windows implementation arrives before 3.2b1, I'd ask that
   the changes be rolled back, and integration is deferred until there
   is Windows support)

2. Why does the PEP recommend installing stuff into /usr/share/pyshared?
   According to the Linux FHS, /usr/share is for Architecture-
   independent data, see

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRSHAREARCHITECTUREINDEPENDENTDATA
   In particular, it's objective is that you can NFS-share it across,
   say, both SPARC Linux and x86 Linux. I believe the PEP would break
   this, as SPARC and x86 executables would override each other.

3. When the PEP recommends that stuff gets installed into pyshared,
   why does the patch then not implement this recommendation, but
   continues installing files into lib-dynload?

Regards,
Martin