[Python-Dev] Regular scheduled releases

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Sat Oct 30 14:29:15 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 14:09, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> I don't feel like producing a complete list of build steps; the entire
> process takes about four hours.

So is most of this scripted, or is there just a process in your head?

> The steps that are difficult to automate are:
> - code signing
> - testing the resulting installer
> - uploading

Why are those steps difficult to automate? I'd think that uploading is
just some ftp commands. Signing might be a thing because you don't
want the keys distributed. Testing the resulting installer could
probably be automated in part, and people could still download the
nightlies to do more testing.

> However, in a significant number of releases, some of the build steps
> failed, so it requires some investigation to find the source of the
> problem.

Well, sure, but if we do continuous builds we find failures like that sooner.

Cheers,

Dirkjan