[Python-Dev] Continuing 2.x

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 20:41:04 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:12:28AM -0700, geremy condra wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz
> > Let's take PyPI numbers as a proxy.  There are ~8000 packages with a
> > "Programming Language::Python" classifier.  There are ~250 with "Programming
> > Langauge::Python::3".  Roughly speaking, we can say that is 3% of Python
> > code which has been ported so far.  Python 3.0 was released at the end of
> > 2008, so people have had roughly 2 years to port, which comes up with 1.5%
> > per year.
> Just my two cents:

Just one further informational note about using pypi in this way for
statistics... In the porting work we've done within Fedora, I've noticed
that a lot of packages are python3 ready or even officially support python3
but the language classifier on pypi does not reflect this.  Here's just
a few since I looked them up when working on the python porting wiki pages:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Beaker/
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pycairo
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/docutils

-Toshio