[Python-Dev] Misc/python-mode.el (was Re: r85838 - python/branches/py3k/.gitignore)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 27 14:55:51 CEST 2010

On Oct 27, 2010, at 02:54 PM, Éric Araujo wrote:

>I remember a discussion about Vim files some time ago.  I use Vim with
>the files from Misc/Vim, which are up-to-date and more useful than the
>files shipped with Vim.  I don’t use plugins or external files, so I’m
>-1 on removing Misc/Vim.

FWIW, Python support in Emacs is muddled.  GNU Emacs comes with python.el
which is an alternative implementation that shares some features with, but
also has differences to, python-mode.el.  Many of us hard-core Python Emacsers
prefer the latter, but sadly the FSF won't bundle it and a merge has proven
impossible so far.

I think I'll replace Misc/python-mode.el with Misc/README.Emacs that attempts
to discuss the issue in a neutral way.  I'll fix this in Python 2.7, 3.1, and
3.2.

Thanks,
-Barry