[Python-Dev] Distutils2 scripts

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 09:20:19 CEST 2010

On 22 October 2010 04:31, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> When it's in the stdlib, the -m option should work just like any other
> script run from the stdlib.
>
> What path hacking are you thinking of?

On Windows, neither the "python" executable nor scripts in
C:\Pythonxx\Scripts are in the PATH by default. On the other hand, .py
files will run automatically via the registered file extension.

Manipulating PATH at install time (to add C:\PythonXX and/or
C:\PythonXX\Scripts) is not done - it is (rightly, in my view)
considered too difficult to get right, particularly when it comes to
uninstalling.

Many Windows users will, I guess, manually add python to PATH (so that
python-m works). Some people also add C:\PythonXX\Scripts. Personally,
I don't - so for me a pysetup script in that location would be no use.

So my personal vote is +1 for a python -m approach, and -0 for a
pysetup executable. I'm -1 on a pysetup.bat batch file - bat files
have other issues which IMO make them effectively useless.

Paul.