[Python-Dev] hg migration schedule

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Thu Oct 21 15:32:07 CEST 2010

Okay, we're getting somewhere here.

I've been conferring with Georg on when we can do the conversion. He's
done some testing with the buildbot setup, which seems to be mostly
done. He also completed preliminary ports of the hooks used in the SVN
repository. He managed to convince me that we're at a point where it
would be good to post some kind of schedule, so here we go.

2010-11-13: availability of a test repo

I'm working towards finally having a test repository that's close to
what we'll have for the final repository. I hope to have it done
sooner than by Nov 13, so it seems like a fairly realistic date. I'm
not promising we'll also have docs done by then, but good
documentation will be my focus as soon as I'm done with the test
repository. I should also mention that I'll be visiting the US east
cost (Boston and NYC) from Nov 13 to Nov 21, so I probably won't be
spending much time on this that week.

2010-12-12: final conversion (tentative)

Georg would really like the conversion to be done by the end of the
year, and it seems that this is within reach. The aim here is not to
disturb the 3.2 release process too much, of course, while still
giving Georg more powerful tools to manage what's left of the release
process.

We're currently tracking progress in a todo.txt file in the pymigr
repo [1] (and in the #python-dev IRC channel), so if you want to help
out, you're more than welcome! We're also going to need at least one
more big fight about workflow/organizational issues, but I'd like to
hold off on that until after we have a test repo that can actually
demonstrate the issues that are relevant to that discussion.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

[1] http://hg.python.org/pymigr/file/tip/todo.txt