[Python-Dev] Exposing pkguitl's import emulation (was Re: [Python-checkins] r85538 - python/branches/py3k/Doc/library/pkgutil.rst)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 00:03:40 CEST 2010

I'm a little dubious about exposing these officially. They're mainly a
hack to get some parts of the standard library working (e.g. runpy) in
the absence of full PEP 302 support in the imp module, not really
something we want to encourage anyone else to use (and yes, they
should probably have underscores in their names, but we missed that
when the various private implementations scattered around the stdlib
were consolidated in pkgutil).

That said, who knows when we'll actually have it done right, so in the
meantime maybe having an official workaround is better than nothing...

Cheers,
Nick.