[Python-Dev] Distutils2 scripts

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Oct 12 20:17:54 CEST 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:33:52 +0200, =?windows-1252?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?= <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > So as well as pysetup.py/.exe I would like pysetup-3.2.py / .exe on
> > Windows please. (I'd really like a python-3.2.exe as well.)
>
> Please submit a patch to the installer, then.
>
> I'm still skeptical about adding PATH, because
> a) I find that fairly invasive, and despise long paths myself
>    (it hurts my eyes to see the list of directories that VS adds to MY
>    path)

I get annoyed by that on Gentoo, too.  Gentoo, though, is using the path
entries to control *which* version of various things run when I type
a command at the prompt, IIUC, and it updates them when I change the
active version of a program, and removes them correctly when a package
is uninstalled.

Gentoo doesn't use path for that for everything, though...for Python, when
I change which version is active ("eselect python python2.5") it updates
the symlinks rather than the path, and I like that much better.  It's less
fragile, too, since it means I don't have to do 'source /etc/profile'
in every open shell after switching the active version of Python.

I don't use Windows much, but on balance I think I'm with Martin here :)

--David