[Python-Dev] Patch making the current email package (mostly) support bytes

lutz at rmi.net lutz at rmi.net
Tue Oct 12 18:01:57 CEST 2010

barry at python.org wrote in the full post below:
> I'm reminded of a survey Guido conducted at some long past
> Python conference.  He asked (paraphrasing): raise your hand
> if you think Python is changing too fast.  Lots of hands went
> up.  Then he asked, raise your hand if you have a feature you
> want to get in the next version.  Lots of hands went up.

When?  I doubt that you'd get the same reaction today given
the schism that 3.X has created.  Regardless, this underscores
much of what I'm trying to get across here.  Python conference
attendees are hardly representative of the user base at large.
Even today, they are probably just 0.1% of the whole.  This
list's readership is an order of magnitude smaller still.
Open doesn't mean all that much to those outside the 0.01%
whose preferences set the agenda.

I appreciate that some people here do indeed weigh compatibility
carefully, and realize that there are multiple valid viewpoints
on this issue.  And regrettably, I have neither solutions nor
time to give this thread the further attention it deserves.

So my point is just this: Change for change's sake is truly not
what most Python users want.  If Python core developers want 3.X
to become as popular as 2.X, they should be less concerned with
posts on this list or hands at a conference, than with the feet
of the masses whose votes will ultimately decide 3.X's fate.

--Mark Lutz  (http://learning-python.com, http://rmi.net/~lutz)