[Python-Dev] question/comment about documentation of relative imports

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Oct 5 18:18:18 CEST 2010

  On 05/10/2010 17:13, Simon Cross wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Darren Dale<dsdale24 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>    from ...sys import path
>>
>>    Note that while that last case is legal, it is certainly
>> discouraged ("insane" was the word Guido used).
> Only if by "legal" you mean "happened to work". It stops "happening to
> work" in Python 2.6.6. :)
>
> Generally I'm +0 on relative imports as a whole.

As the OP pointed out, for code that may be *included* in other projects
there is no other choice. This is often useful for packages shared
between one or two projects that nonetheless don't warrant separate
distribution.

All the best,

Michael

> Schiavo
> Simon

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.