[Python-Dev] issue 9807 - a glitch in coexisting builds of different types

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Oct 4 22:18:34 CEST 2010

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 16:01:17 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> >Why would a distro want to provide all combinations of Python builds?
>
> Maybe not all, but definitely several.  At least a normal build and a debug
> build, but a wide unicode build possibly also.

What is the point of shipping a different unicode representation? Is
there any practical use case? I could understand a motivated user
trying different build flags for the purpose of experimentation and
personal enlightenment, but a Linux distribution?
(also, Debian's Python already defaults on wide unicode)

> >As for the SOABI, you could use a different mangling which would
> >preserve the ".so" suffix -- e.g. "-debug.so" instead of ".so.d". At
> >least then well-known conventions would be preserved.
>
> We already have libpython3.2.so.1.0 which also doesn't end in .so.

".so.<number>" is a well-understood Unix convention, while
".so.<some additional letters>" doesn't seem to be.
(this also means that tools such as file managers etc. may not display
the file type properly)

Regards

Antoine.