[Python-Dev] We should be using a tool for code reviews

Andi Albrecht albrecht.andi at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 1 08:30:59 CEST 2010

Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> writes:

> Am 30.09.2010 10:22, schrieb Dirkjan Ochtman:
>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 20:32, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>> I would like to recommend that the Python core developers start using
>>> a code review tool such as Rietveld or Reviewboard. I don't really
>>> care which tool we use (I'm sure there are plenty of pros and cons to
>>> each) but I do think we should get out of the stone age and start
>>> using a tool for the majority of our code reviews.
>>
>> Rambling thoughts about some of the things mentioned in this thread.
>>
>> I think hg-review looks interesting, though it may not (yet) have the
>> level of sophistication of Rietveld. (Public test instance at
>> http://review.stevelosh.com/.)
>>
>> It might be interesting to integrate Rietveld uploads in a Mercurial
>> extension, particularly if it gets integrated with mq somehow.
>
> That would be totally awesome!

The Go (the language) project has a Mercurial extension that integrates
Rietveld. It seems to provide a few commands for both directions:
uploading changelists to a review server and for the reviewer
downloading from the server and applying the changelists to a working
copy. I never used this extension myself so I can't tell anything about
the workflow introduced by these commands.

The sources for this extension are here:
http://code.google.com/p/go/source/browse/lib/codereview/codereview.py

Andi