[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 29 01:02:18 CET 2010

Am 29.11.2010 00:56, schrieb Alexander Belopolsky:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> ..
>> No no no. Addition of Unicode identifiers has a well-designed,
>> deliberate specification, with a PEP and all. The support for
>> non-ASCII digits in float appears to be ad-hoc, and not founded
>> on actual needs of actual users.
>>

> I wonder how carefully right-to-left scripts were considered when PEP
> 3131 was discussed.

IIRC, some Hebrew users have spoken in favor of the PEP, despite the
obvious difficulties it would create. I may misremember, but I think
someone pointed out that they had these difficulties all the time,
and that it wasn't really a burden.

Unicode specifies that one should always use "logical order" in memory,
and that's what the PEP does. Rendering is then a tool issue.

Regards,
Martin