[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 00:16:24 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:08 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Am 29.11.2010 00:01, schrieb Alexander Belopolsky:
>> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> ..

>>> What do infer from that? That the definition is wrong, or the code is wrong?
>>
>> The development version of the reference manual is more detailed, but
>> as far as I can tell, it still defines digit as 0-9.
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/library/functions.html#float
>>

> I wasn't asking about 0..9, but about "infinity". According to the
> spec, it shouldn't accept that (and neither should it accept
> 'infinitY').

According to the link that I mentioned,

infinity       ::=  "Infinity" | "inf"

and "Case is not significant, so, for example, “inf”, “Inf”,
“INFINITY” and “iNfINity” are all acceptable spellings for positive
infinity."

I completely agree with your arguments and the reference manual has
been improved a lot in the recent years.