[Python-Dev] Solaris family and 64 bits compiling

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 23 07:55:20 CET 2010

> But if we say the Python can be compiled as 64 bits under Solaris, would
> be nice if that was actually true. Now that we have a buildbot (under
> OpenIndiana) to test, it is doable.

But it is true, and always has been true. The lib/64 issue did not
prevent one building Python on Solaris/SPARC64 at all, including the
extension modules. Just edit Modules/Setup to suit your needs - that
works since 1995 (before distutils was even written).

> If not, we could say that Solaris+64 bits is unsupported. I don't think
> we should go that way. Solaris+64 bits should be a full citizen.

There we go again: "supported". Python builds on many systems which we
don't have buildbots for, including obscure systems (although Guido has
ruled that we won't specifically accept code for obscure systems
anymore, unlike we did before). It is never fully automatic (you always
have to at least make sure manually that the dependencies are
installed).

Regards,
Martin