[Python-Dev] Solaris family and 64 bits compiling

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Nov 22 23:12:05 CET 2010

In article <4CEAE129.2060505 at jcea.es>, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:
> On 22/11/10 20:42, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> > Before enabling anything on a build slave, a patch needs to be
> > contributed to make it work in the first place.
>
> I actually agree. I am not sure yet, but I am thinking that adding a
> "--build-64" parameter to "configure" could be an option under Solaris.
> Most OSs (let say, Linux) force you to choose 32/64 bits at install
> time, but Solaris can use both at the same time, and compilers allow to
> compile both (using -m32 or -m64).
>
> Since choosing 32 or 64 bits when compiling python under Solaris change
> the requirement, paths, etc., automating it should be a goal.

You might want to look at the existing --with-universal-archs=ARCH in
configure for how this is done for OS X builds.  It's probably both
simpler and more complicated than would be needed elsewhere: on OS X, a
single file can contain object codes for multiple architectures, e.g
32-bit and 64-bit, rather than having to have multiple files.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org