[Python-Dev] Solaris family and 64 bits compiling

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 22 23:05:40 CET 2010

> I actually agree. I am not sure yet, but I am thinking that adding a
> "--build-64" parameter to "configure" could be an option under Solaris.
> Most OSs (let say, Linux) force you to choose 32/64 bits at install
> time

Actually, that's not at all the case. Most systems these days support
32-bit and 64-bit applications simultaneously, and also support compiler
tool chains that allow building for either mode.
Solaris, Linux, and Windows are about on-par in this respect;
OS X is more advanced as it allows to have a single binary that
supports both 32-bit and 64-bit execution (making the need for adjusted
path names irrelevant).

> Since choosing 32 or 64 bits when compiling python under Solaris change
> the requirement, paths, etc., automating it should be a goal.
>
> PS: Martin, is there any reason to restrict the solaris 10 buildslaves
> to 32 bits, beside the said problems?.

I don't see that as a restriction. I have to make a choice, and there
are sooo many choices to make:
- gcc vs. SunPRO
- 32-bit vs. 64-bit
- GNU make vs. /usr/ccs/bin/make

I picked the combination which was most easy to setup, and is therefore
likely to be used by most users (except for those who think 64-bit
is somehow "better" than 32-bit, when it is actually the other way
'round - IMO).

As for configuration, I personally prefer that setting CC indicates
what type of build you want. Set CC to "gcc -m64" to indicate a
64-build. Ideally, you will *not* have to adjust library paths, since
the other compiler will know on its own where to search things.

Regards,
Martin