[Python-Dev] Breaking undocumented API

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Wed Nov 17 14:21:57 CET 2010

2010/11/17 Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>:
> So -1 on splitting Python development style guide into multiple documents.

I don't think that the publicness or API stability promises of the
standard library are part of a style guide.  They're an essential part
of the library documentation.  They aren't a guide for 3rd-party code,
and are specific to the standard library.

If we can't come up with something reasonable for the standard
library, we *certainly* shouldn't be making recommendations on the
matter for 3rd party code.  If we do come up with something
reasonable, we can recommend it to others later (once field-proven),
and without duplication.  (Possibly by referring to the standard
library documentation, and possibly by refactoring.  That's not
important until we have something, though.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein