[Python-Dev] Breaking undocumented API

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Thu Nov 11 14:43:44 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't dispute that these are *the* rules, but my question was
> whether it is ok to break them in specific cases such as
> trace.rx_blank.  If not, how can we deprecate trace.rx_blank which is
> a regex constant?

Since trace is documented and rx_blank isn't covered, I think it's
pretty clear it was never intended as API.  I'd be fine with changing
the visibility of rx_blank, and see no need to change its name.

> Another specific case is token.main.  See <http://bugs.python.org/issue10386>.

Yep.  Again, it's clear that it's not API, and that's a documented module.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein