[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r86355 - python/branches/py3k/Modules/_pickle.c

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Nov 11 04:04:39 CET 2010

Alexander Belopolsky writes:
 > On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Victor Stinner
 > <victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
 > ..
 > > I don't know, but the commit is trivial and cheap. If it improves the support
 > > on uncommon compiler, I agree to commit such change.
 > >

 > But it does it at the cost of invalidating the "svn blame" for the
 > last enum entry now and for future additions.   The problem is that
 > when you change from
 >
 > enum {
 >   ..
 > }

 > enum {
 >   ..
 >   X,
 > }

If that bothers you, you can write

enum {
  , B
  /* etc */
  , X
}

or

enum {
  A,
  B,
  /* etc */
  X,
  enum_bound_otherwise_unused
}

I prefer the last; it's a compiler (and debugger) space burden, but
shouldn't affect the running python.  On the original question, I
think it's preferable to keep compilers happy unless you're willing to
*require* C99.