[Python-Dev] GUI test runner tool

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Nov 9 13:17:13 CET 2010

On 08/11/2010 19:28, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Michael Foord<michael at voidspace.org.uk>  wrote:
> ..
>> I'd like to propose adding [unittestgui] to Python in Tools/ and am volunteering to
>> maintain it.
> Why not adding it under Lib/unittest/?
I really don't want to make Tk a dependency for unittest itself. :-)

I also don't want a GUI test runner to in any way be part of the *api*
of unittest...

> I think Tools/  is a less
> attractive location for most users than say PyPI or some other package
> repository.  Tools/ is for stuff that is primarily of interest to
> python developers, not python users.  OS vendors are less likely to
> install packages in Tools/ in a user-visible place than they are a
> popular 3rd-party package.

Well, there's always Demos/. ;-)

I realise that putting it in Tools/ means that distros will probably
have to make a conscious decision to package it. unittest2 will install
it as a script. I don't think the gui runner belongs in Demos/, so
Tools/ is the logical choice for including in core-Python. As Raymond
says we can point to it in the docs. (The gui test runner is merely a
convenience / beginners tool - so pointing to more "production suitable"
tools like Hudson would also be good.)

I was looking to see what else was in Tools/ that was distributed with
Python, but I don't *think* the Mac distribution includes them at all.
(freeze is in the Tools/ directory of the repo and is an 'end user' tool
rather than core-developer tool.) The Mac distribution does put a bunch
of stuff in the Python 'bin' directory, and ideally it would go there.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.