[Python-Dev] Snakebite, buildbot and low hanging fruit -- feedback wanted! (Was Re: SSH access against buildbot boxes)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 12:57:45 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:09 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Luckily, the problems that we faced 2.5 years ago when I came up with
>> the idea of Snakebite are still just as ever present today ;-)
>
> Is this bashing of existing infrastructure really necessary?
> People (like me) might start bashing about vaporware and how
> a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Cooperate, don't
> confront.

I don't believe the comment was meant to be a slight on the efforts of
the current infrastructure maintainers.

I took Trent's message as referring to the problems Giampaolo
mentioned in the original post (i.e. the ability to grant buildbot
access in an easy-to-use way to existing core developers without
burdening every buildbot operator with decisions as to who they can
trust with access to their buildbot). Buildbot (and similar tools) are
fine for what they do, but there are some problems like this that they
don't even *try* to solve (because they aren't software problems -
they're dependent on physical infrastructure).

Regards,
Nick.