[Python-Dev] Python-3 transition in Arch Linux

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 5 11:25:35 CET 2010

On 05/11/10 18:47, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> No, that's not my point at all. The problem isn't that Python 3 is
> incompatible with Python 2. The problem is that stuff broke without
> (apparently) fair warning.

<snip>

Just to clarify (and going way off topic for this list...), this was
discussed on the Arch Linux mailing lists around six months in advance,
then again about two months beforehand when the rebuild started.  Then
it sat in our testing repository for a month where issues were discussed
on our mailing lists and forums.  Also a news post was made on our
website front page before moving it into our main repos.

With a rolling release distro we do not have the luxury of making
release notes every major release so we make it abundantly clear to our
users that we expect them to at least always read the front page news
before updating.  There are even wrapper scripts for our package manager
that print the news headlines before updating.

So there was warning.  As always, it was just ignored by a portion of
our users.

Allan