[Python-Dev] Locks and signals

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri May 28 12:58:02 CEST 2010

On Thu, 27 May 2010 21:57:48 -0400
Reid Kleckner <rnk at mit.edu> wrote:

> Unrelatedly, I feel like this behavior of waiting for the thread to
> terminate usually manifests as deadlocks when the main thread throws
> an uncaught exception.  The application then no longer responds
> properly to interrupts, since it's stuck waiting on a semaphore.

I think the internal low-level lock implementation should be
fixed so that it runs PyErr_CheckSignals() and is able to signal an
error on function return (rather than the current binary "lock
succeeded" / "lock timed out" status).

Actually, it would be nice if you could open a bug entry for that :)

Regards

Antoine.