[Python-Dev] Sumo

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 27 19:52:34 CEST 2010

Michael Foord writes:

 > To my mind one of the most important benefits of a "sumo" style
 > distribution is not just that it easily provides a whole bunch of useful
 > modules - but that it *highlights* which modules are the community
 > blessed "best of breed".

That has several problems.

(1) There is a lot of overlap with the mission of the stdlib, and I
    think confusion over roles would be quite costly.

(2) As the stdlib demonstrates, picking winners is expensive.  I
    greatly doubt that running *two* such processes is worthwhile.

(3) Very often there is no best of breed.