[Python-Dev] Fixing the GIL (with a BFS scheduler)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 18 21:43:30 CEST 2010

Lennart Regebro wrote:
>>> Oh, so Dave Beazleys reports is a rumour now.
>> Your and other people's grandiloquent interpretation of them is.
>>
>> Now let me ask you a question: did you witness some of the effects
>> mentioned here? Did it disturb the proper functioning one of your
>> applications, programs or services?
>> If yes, please be so kind as to explain how; it will be an useful
>> datapoint. Bonus points if the issue affects Python 3.2, since that's
>> really what Nir is talking about.
>>
>> If not, then do you have any valuable information to contribute to this
>> discussion?
>
> I doubt anything I say can be less constructive than your rude comments.

I can understand why Antoine is being offended: it's his implementation
that you attacked. You literally said "At has been shown, it also in
certain cases will race with the OS scheduler, so this is not already
fixed", claiming that it is not fixed

I believe Antoine does consider it fixed, on the grounds that all
counter-examples provided so far are made-up toy examples, rather than
actual applications that still suffer from the original problems.

So please join us in considering the issue fixed unless you can provide
a really world example that demonstrates the contrary.

Regards,
Martin