[Python-Dev] Fixing the GIL (with a BFS scheduler)

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon May 17 23:28:22 CEST 2010

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 5/17/2010 2:59 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
> > Yes, it would.  As soon as I have working 3.x versions of BeautifulSoup,
> > PIL, ReportLab, JCC, pylucene, pyglet, nltk, email, epydoc, feedparser,
> > dictclient, docutils, hachoir, mutagen, medusa, python-dateutil, and
> > vobject, I'll let you know. :-)
> >
> >> There /has/ been momentum in fixing it. In py3k.
> >
> > Yes, I specifically meant in the 2.x branch.  I'm guessing I'll have to
> > stay on 2.x for at least 5 more years, due to the other package
> > dependencies.
>
> I suspect it will be sooner than that, especially if users like you
> ask/beg/plead with the maintainers of libraries like those you listed
> to make them work with 3.2.

Oh, that's the way I like to spend my day (and, as you can tell from
this conversation, I'm really good at it :-).  Though I will of course
do that.

But some of these, like JCC+pylucene, nltk, and vobject, were developed
with idiosyncratic funding resources which no longer exist.  Others,
like pyglet, were developed for a completely different purpose, and I
doubt the developers care what I want.  So, realistically, I doubt it
will be less than five years.

Bill