[Python-Dev] OS X buildbots and launchd

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Sun May 16 21:33:20 CEST 2010

I can find no evidence that the buildbot installation process given on
the wiki will cause the buildbot slave to be restarted after a reboot of
the machine.  To accomplish this, you should also undertake the work
described in

  http://buildbot.net/trac/wiki/UsingLaunchd

On my Leopard slave, I created the file
/Library/LaunchAgents/org.python.buildbot.slave.plist, and put in it
this XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>StandardOutPath</key>
	<string>twistd.log</string>
	<key>StandardErrorPath</key>
	<string>twistd-err.log</string>
	<key>EnvironmentVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>PATH</key>
		<string>/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin</string>
	</dict>
	<key>GroupName</key>
	<string>daemon</string>
	<key>KeepAlive</key>
	<dict>
		<key>SuccessfulExit</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>org.python.buildbot.slave</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>/usr/bin/twistd</string>
		<string>-no</string>
		<string>-y</string>
		<string>/Users/buildbot/buildarea/buildbot.tac</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
	<key>UserName</key>
	<string>buildbot</string>
	<key>WorkingDirectory</key>
	<string>/Users/buildbot/buildarea</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Note that I am using the system Python 2.5, and that I have configured
the buildbot slave machine to login the "buildbot" account automatically
upon boot, which login will cause this daemon to start, and will provide
access to the GUI context for testing tk.  I've configured it with a
locking screensaver that starts immediately; let's see if that works OK.

I've also put "dinsdale.python.org" and "svn.python.org" in /etc/hosts.

Bill