[Python-Dev] Two small PEP ideas

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed May 5 13:30:04 CEST 2010

Am 05.05.2010 13:24, schrieb Michael Foord:
> On 05/05/2010 12:15, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> Georg Brandl wrote:
>>
>>> I agree, and I wouldn't want to make these decisions.  That person (or
>>> group) needs to have some weight in the community, or there will be a
>>> feeling of "... and who is he to decide anyway".  We haven't emphasized
>>> RMship in the past; it's not a special position, except when something
>>> about a release goes wrong and blame must be placed ;)  I think, being
>>> Guido, you are still the best single person to do this job.
>>>
>> Not to wish anything bad on Guido, but I think it does behoove us as
>> responsible stewards of the reference interpreter to at least consider
>> the "bus" factor (as in "hit by a...").

Sure, but I think we wouldn't have too much trouble finding a replacement
if and when that happens.  (Let's hope it doesn't.)  This is not something
that requires weeks of preparation, and even if it did, no pronouncement
on a PEP for a few weeks isn't the doom of Python.

>> I suspect Martin is right that some form of committee (at least
>> initially) would be inevitable. While I doubt that we could find any one
>> person that everyone would agree to defer to, I suspect we could find a
>> small group of 3 or 4 people who's consensus everyone else would
>> respect. And if that small group couldn't agree on whether or not
>> something was a good idea, then the old "status quo wins a stalemate"
>> would kick in.
>
> Sounds like a sensible arrangement.

Yes, I could imagine that too.

Georg