[Python-Dev] Two small PEP ideas

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat May 1 11:00:10 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
[..]

>>> Without a BDFL, I think we need a committee to make decisions, e.g. by
>>> majority vote amongst committers.
>>
>> Couldn't we just go with the FLUFL?
>
> IIRC in the IETF this is done by the committee chair. I think it's a
> good idea to have this be a single person to avoid endless indecision.

BPD = Benevolent Pep Dictator
BPC = Benevolent Pep Caliph   (sounds good in French, not sure in English ;) )

What about naming several BPD + and have one BPC elected each year by
all the core devs ?

== BPD ==

I am not sure if this would work for all areas in Python-core, but
looking at the maintainers.rst file, it looks like we could name for
example Brett for all the import machinery things, Marc-André for all
the unicode things, I could be the one about packaging, etc.

If we could manage to split the python-core development into
categories, and add these categories in the PEP metadata, that would
define who takes the final decision in case we can't reach consensus.

== BPC ==

Of course some PEPs could concern several categories,  so we would
still need some kind of Pep dictator if there's no consensus.  So what
about electing a BPC every year ?

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org