[Python-Dev] Bootstrap script for package management tool in Python 2.7 (Was: Re: [Distutils] At least one package management tool for 2.7)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Mon Mar 29 19:26:05 CEST 2010

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> So, there won't be any package management tool shipped with Python 2.7
> and users will have to download and install `setuptools` manually as
> before:
>
>   "search" -> "download" -> "unzip" -> "cmd" -> "cd" -> "python
> setup.py install"
>

> Therefore I still propose shipping bootstrap package that instruct
> user how to download and install an actual package  management tool
> when users tries to use it.

For what it's worth, Guido prototyped something similar in March of
2008, but his was an actual bootstrapping tool for package management:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-March/077837.html

His tool knew how to download a tar file, untar it, and run "python
setup.py install" on it.  No version numbers, no dependency management,
simple enough that it should be easy to get right.  Only appropriate for
bootstrapping into a real package management tool.

The thread ends with him saying "I don't have time to deal with this
further this week", and I dunno, maybe it just fell off the radar?  I'd
been thinking about resurrecting the discussion but I didn't have time
either.

I fear it is too late for 2.7,

//larry//