[Python-Dev] Mixing float and Decimal -- thread reboot

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Mar 22 02:24:26 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 06:31:57 am Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>>> I really like Guido's idea of a context flag to control whether
>>> mixing of decimal and binary floats will issue a warning.
>>> The default should be to issue the warning (because unless
>>> you know what you're doing, it is most likely an error).
>>
>> When you say "warning", do you mean warning.warn(), or an exception?
>

> I'm not sure I understand your question.  I did mean warnings.warn().
> But that does raise a catchable exception or it can be suppressed
> through the warnings module.  It should probably be set to
> warn no more than once.

I would hope it could use whatever mechanism is already used for other
conditions in the decimal module such as Underflow, Inexact, Rounded
etc. But I have to admit I don't know exactly what those do. It
appears they can either raise an exception or call a handle() method
on the given exception. Are you thinking of putting the warn() call
inside that handle() method?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)