[Python-Dev] Attribute lookup ambiguity

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Mar 19 21:23:43 CET 2010

On 19/03/2010 18:58, Pascal Chambon wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've already crossed a bunch of articles detailing python's attribute
> lookup semantic (__dict__, descriptors, order of base class
> traversing...), but I have never seen, so far, an explanation of WHICH
> method did waht, exactly.
>
> I assumed that getattr(a, b) was the same as a.__getattribute__(b),
> and that this __getattribute__ method (or the hidden routine replacing
> it when we don't override it in our class) was in charge of doing the
> whole job of traversing the object tree, checking descriptors, binding
> methods, calling __getattr__ on failure etc.
>
> However, the test case below shows that __getattribute__ does NOT call
> __getattr__ on failure. So it seems it's an upper levl machinery, in
> getattr(), which is in chrge of that last action.

Python 3 has the behavior you are asking for. It would be a backwards
incompatible change to do it in Python 2 as __getattribute__ *not*
calling __getattr__ is the documented behaviour.

Python 3.2a0 (py3k:78770, Mar 7 2010, 20:32:50)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646) (dot 1)] on darwin
 >>> class x:
... def __getattribute__(s, name):
... print ('__getattribute__', name)
... raise AttributeError
... def __getattr__(s, name):
... print ('__getattr__', name)
 >>> a.b
__getattribute__ b
__getattr__ b

This list is not really an appropriate place to ask questions like this
though, comp.lang.python would be better.

All the best,

Michael Fooord