[Python-Dev] Tracker reviews workflow and flags

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Mar 19 20:46:35 CET 2010

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:39:58 -0400, "A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:22:05AM -0400, R. David Murray wrote:
> > > Real world example with issue8151. It is an issue with a trivial patch
> > > in it. Everything what is needed is to dispatch it to stable `commit
> > > queue` and port to trunk. It is not 'easy' - it is 'trivial', but I
> > > have no means to mark it as 'easy' either, so even this trivial fix
> > > lies in tracker for three days waiting for review.
> >
> > Three days?  That's nothing :)
>
> I think Anatoly has a point, though; there are issues where the people
> discussing the fix have come to a consensus, but none of them are
> committers, or the committers involved are too busy.  There's a patch
> ready to apply, but no committer knows about it.

Yes, this is a general problem with the workflow.

This is one reason for the creation of the 'committers.rst' file in py3k:
submitters can find committers there to add to the nosy list of issues
that are ready for commit, so that they do notice.

However, as you note, sometimes 'ready' bugs sit in the tracker for
a while even when one or more committers is already nosy.  As someone
else said, that's the nature of a volunteer driven process.  The best
solution as far as I know is to expand the pool of volunteers, so I
hope Anatoloy is inspired to continue to contribute so he can eventually
become a committer!

> > To avoid issues involving C coding, try restricting your search to
> > 'Library' issues.  There is C code in some library modules, but less so
> > than in the core ;).  It would be nice if you could search on more than
>
> Actually Library should pretty much always be pure-Python.  Issues
> related to C modules such as socket are classified under the
> 'Extension modules' component.  Of course, sometimes the ultimate
> cause will migrate (a bug in SocketServer.py is traced to a flaw in
> socket, for example).

Good point.  Or at least, that's the theory.  In practice bugs sometimes
get miscategorized.  So, Anatoly, if you find bugs like that you can ask that
they be properly recategorized.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com