[Python-Dev] __file__ and bytecode-only

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Mar 12 23:56:57 CET 2010

On Mar 12, 2010, at 10:48 PM, Michael Foord wrote:

>On 12/03/2010 19:53, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>> I believe we've decided /not/ to support creation of bytecode-only
>> distributions out of the box.
>>

>I thought Guido said on this topic [1]:
>
>" FWIW, I started at -1 and am still -1. I think the PEP is overreaching
>in this aspect; it does not serve the stated purpose of the PEP to
>make life easier for distros that share code between Python versions."
>
>Has something changed since then?

Nope, sorry I should have been clearer.

*creation* is the key here.  As per BDFL pronouncement, we'll support reading
pyc-only modules just like we do today.  This is in PEP 3147.  We won't
support creating them though.

BTW, I'm actually starting to work on the implementation now, so if you want
to play along:

% bzr branch lp:~barry/python/pep3147

-Barry