[Python-Dev] [PEP 3148] futures - execute computations asynchronously

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sun Mar 7 19:45:52 CET 2010

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:48:09 -0500, "P.J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 02:49 PM 3/7/2010 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> >I agree the PEP should just target what the current implementation
> >provides and put whatever scope limitations are needed in the preamble
> >text to make that clear.
>
> Yep.  I'm just saying "parallel task queueing" is a much better
> description of what the implementation is/does, and would suggest
> renaming Future -> Task and Executor -> WorkerPool or some
> such.  These names would be *much* clearer to people who've never
> heard of futures, as well as more appropriate to the actual scope of
> what this does.

For what it's worth: I don't have any particular knowledge in this area.
I did loosely follow the stdlib-sig discussion.  I wasn't really sure
exactly what the module was about or what a 'future' was, or why I would
want to use one.  I did get that it was about parallel execution of tasks,
but it seemed like there had to be more to it than that.  Hearing it
called a 'worker pool' makes a lightbulb go off and I can now understand
why this would be a useful facility to have in the standard library.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com