[Python-Dev] [PEP 3148] futures - execute computations asynchronously

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Mar 5 17:56:52 CET 2010

    >>> import futures
    >>
    >> +1 on the idea, -1 on the name.  It's too similar to "from __future__ import
    >> ...".

    Jesse> Futures is a common term for this, and implemented named this in
    Jesse> other languages. I don't think we should be adopting things that
    Jesse> are common, and found elsewhere and then renaming them.

Perhaps, but is it a common term for Python programmers (or the target
population for Python)?  I've never heard of it.  "futures" to me are
futures contracts in a trading environment (that's the industry I work in).
No matter how well known the term is in the environment where it's used
today you have to be sensitive to other meanings of the term.

Skip