[Python-Dev] Mailbox module - timings and functionality changes

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Tue Jun 29 18:34:42 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 07:56:22AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Since you have such a great reproducible test case, could you point
> the profiler at it? (Perhaps on a reduced dataset... The profiler
> multiples your run time by some number between 2 and 10 IIRC.)

Let me underline Guido's suggestion.  Steve, I've done a lot of
mailbox.py stuff and can look at your problem, but off the top of my
head, my suspicion would be that I/O is the culprit, and a profile
could confirm that.  My thought is that mailbox.py is opening the file
in some reading mode that ends up doing a lot more processing on
Windows than on Unix because of universal newlines or something like
that.

--amk