[Python-Dev] what environment variable should contain compiler warning suppression flags?

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:50:37 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

>>> Marc-Andre's argument seems to be "it's possible that AC_PROG_CC adds
>>> other flags as well (it currently doesn't, but that may well change in
>>> future versions of autoconf)." That seems a little weak to constrain
>>> fixing actual problems today. If it ever adds more arguments, we'll
>>> need to inspect them anyway to see if they're more like -g or -O2
>>> (wanted or harmful).
>
> Please see the discussion on the ticket for details.

Yes, I've done that.  It's repeatedly asserted in that discussion that
AC_PROG_CC should be allowed to initialize an otherwise empty CFLAGS,
but nowhere in that discussion does it explain *why* this is
desirable.  What would be so bad about not allowing AC_PROG_CC to
initialize CFLAGS?  (E.g., by setting an otherwise empty CFLAGS to
'-g' before the AC_PROG_CC invocation.)  That would fix the issue of
the unwanted -O2 flag that AC_PROG_CC otherwise adds.

Mark