[Python-Dev] "2 or 3" link on python.org

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 25 03:18:13 CEST 2010

On 6/24/2010 8:31 PM, Stephen Thorne wrote:

> Oh, I thought this was quite clear. I was specifically meaning the large
> "Python 2 or 3" button on python.org. It would help users who want to know
> what version of python to use if they had a clear guide as to what version
> to download.

I think everyone on pydev agrees that that would be good, but I do
believe anyone has taken ownership of the issue as yet. I am not sure
who currently maintains the site and whether such are aware of the proposal.

I believe there is material on the wiki as well as the two existing
pages on other sites that were discussed here. So a new page on
python.org could consist of a few links. Someone just has to write it.

> It doesn't help if someone goes to do greenfield development in python
> if a library they depend upon has yet to be ported, and they're trying to
> use python 3.
>
> (As an addendum add pygtk to the list of libs that python 3 users on #python
> are alarmed to find haven't been ported yet)

The list, if it exists, should be on the wiki, where any registered user
can edit it, rather than on the .org page.

I suspect that the feedback about Python on #python is somewhat
different from that on python-list. I also suspect that some of it could
be used to improve python, the docs, and the site. Is that happening
much? I know I regularly open tracker issues (such as 6507, 8824, and
8945) based on python-list discussions , and I know others have made
wiki edits.

--
Terry Jan Reedy