[Python-Dev] bytes / unicode

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 23:30:22 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 09:36:45PM +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:23:33 -0400
> Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> > - - the slow adoption / porting rate of major web frameworks and libraries
> >   to Python 3.
>
> Some of the major web frameworks and libraries have a ton of
> dependencies, which would explain why they really haven't bothered yet.
>
> I don't think you can't claim, though, that Python 3 makes things
> significantly harder for these frameworks. The proof is that many of
> them already give the user unicode strings in Python 2.x. They must
> have somehow got the decoding right.

Note that this assumption seems optimistic to me.  I started talking to Graham
Dumpleton, author of mod_wsgi a couple years back because mod_wsgi and paste
do decoding of bytes to unicode at different layers which caused problems
for application level code that should otherwise run fine when being served
by mod_wsgi or paste httpserver.  That was the beginning of Graham starting
to talk about what the wsgi spec really should look like under python3
instead of the broken way that the appendix to the current wsgi spec states.

-Toshio