[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 20:44:44 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 08:24:28AM -0500, Michael Urman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 00:28, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> > Michael Urman writes:
> >
> >  > It is somewhat troublesome that there doesn't appear to be an obvious
> >  > built-in idempotent-when-possible function that gives back the
> >  > provided bytes/str,
> >
> > If you want something idempotent, it's already the case that
> > bytes(b'abc') => b'abc'.  What might be desirable is to make
> > bytes('abc') work and return b'abc', but only if 'abc' is pure ASCII
> > (or maybe ISO 8859/1).
>
> By idempotent-when-possible, I mean to_bytes(str_or_bytes, encoding,
> errors) that would pass an instance of bytes through, or encode an
> instance of str. And of course a to_str that performs similarly,
> passing str through and decoding bytes. While bytes(b'abc') will give
> me b'abc', neither bytes('abc') nor bytes(b'abc', 'latin-1') get me
> the b'abc' I want to see.

A month or so ago, I finally broke down and wrote a python2 library that had
these functions in it (along with a bunch of other trivial boilerplate
functions that I found myself writing over and over in different projects)

  https://fedorahosted.org/releases/k/i/kitchen/docs/api-text-converters.html#unicode-and-byte-str-conversion

I suppose I could port this to python3 and we could see if it gains adoption
as a thirdparty addon.  I have been hesitating over doing that since I don't
use python3 for everyday work and I have a vague feeling that 2to3 won't
understand what that code needs to do.

-Toshio