[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Jun 20 20:35:30 CEST 2010

Guido van Rossum writes:

 > On the #python issue, I expect that IRC is much less influential that
 > some here fear (and than some fervent IRC users believe). I don't see
 > reason for panic or heavy-handed interference. OTOH engaging the
 > channel operators more in python-dev sounds like a useful approach.

More vice-versa, I now think.  Ie, (somewhat) greater python-dev
presence on #python is more important.  I sort of assumed that people
actually participated in #python, as a number do in c.l.p, but that
doesn't seem to be so.  At least while I was there, I didn't see
anybody else who seemed to be python-dev, whether core or the regular
denizens of the peanut gallery.

>From a few hours monitoring and participating in #python, Laurens
gives pretty accurate summary of the kind of people in the channel.  I
didn't see anything about Python 3, but I can definitely imagine there
being Python-3-baiting trolls.  There certainly were a few trollish
posters.

Anyway, what I personally plan to do is put in a couple of hours a
week on #python, and I probably mostly won't mention Python 3 unless
asked, and maybe in discussing Unicode issues.  While I don't claim to
be particularly *representative* of python-dev, an additional
dimension of diversity should go a long way.