[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jun 20 19:47:47 CEST 2010

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 02:30:17 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou writes:
>
>  > I think it's an unfortunate analogy.
>
> Propose a better one, then.  I'm definitely not wedded to the ones
> I've proposed!

I'm not sure why you want an analogy. Python 3 improves the language
and drops legacy cruft. Bringing C++ makes the description
unnecessarily contentious and loaded (because C++ has a rather bad
reputation amongst many people; recently Linus Torvalds explained
again why he thought C was much more appropriate a programming
language). And it's not even warranted, because the situation is vastly
different.

> What do you suggest?  Or do you think there's no PR problem we should
> worry about, just accept that this going to be a further drag on
> adoption and improvement, and keep on keeping on?

I suppose the PR problem could be solved by having an official page on
python.org explain what the new features and advantages of Python 3 over
Python 2 are. There's no such thing right now; actually, I'm not sure
there's a Web page explaining clearly what the difference is about, why
it was done in such a compatibility-breaking way, and what we advise
(both actual and potential) users to do.

I suppose that's a task for the "Web content editor community".

Regards

Antoine.