[Python-Dev] #Python3 ! ? (was Python Library Support in 3.x)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Jun 20 17:37:53 CEST 2010

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2010, at 5:02 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> HoweverI have very little experience with IRC and consequently have
>> little idea what getting a permanent, owned, channel like #python
>> entails. Hence the '?' that follows.
>>
>> What do others think?
>
> Sure, this is a good idea.
>
> Technically speaking, this is extremely easy.  Somebody needs to "/msg
> chanserv register #python3" and that's about it.  (In this case, that
> "someone" may need to be Brett Cannon, since he is the official group
> contact for Freenode regarding Python-related channels.)
>
> Practically speaking, you will need a group of at least a dozen
> contributors, each in a different timezone, who sit there all day
> answering questions :).  Otherwise the ownership of the channel is just
> a signpost pointing at an empty room.

Which is yet another reason I don't think it would be productive to
attempt any kind of pre-emptive action against the #python team. They do
serve a very useful purpose, and there is reasoned logic behind their
position even if we might wish it were different.

regards
 Steve

See Python Video!       http://python.mirocommunity.org/
"All I want for my birthday is another birthday" -
                                     Ian Dury, 1942-2000