[Python-Dev] email package status in 3.X

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jun 20 11:32:56 CEST 2010

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:14:02 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

>  > had my experience would have been different. It's bad enough to have to
>  > tell people "Python 3 is currently lacking some critical libraries,
>  > particularly third-party libraries" without also telling them (wrongly
>  > IMO) "oh, and it's a new language too".
>
> That's why I propose the C to C++ analogy.

I think it's an unfortunate analogy. C++ needs new libraries (with
brand new APIs) to take advantage of its abstraction capabilities.
Python 3 has almost the same abstraction capabilities as Python 2, you
don't need to write new libraries: just port the existing ones.

> True, C++ does introduce a
> lot of new features, but most programmers migrating from C to C++
> don't learn to use them properly for years, if ever, I'm told.

I don't see how Python 3 has that problem. You can be productive here
and now in Python 3, re-using your knowledge of Python 2 with a bit of
added information.

Regards

Antoine.