[Python-Dev] Future of 2.x.

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Wed Jun 9 07:15:09 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Senthil Kumaran <orsenthil at gmail.com> wrote:
> it would still be a good idea to
> introduce some of them in minor releases in 2.7. I know, this
> deviating from the process, but it could be an option considering that
> 2.7 is the last of 2.x release.

I disagree.

If there are going to be features going into *any* post 2.7.0 version,
there's no reason not to increment the revision number to 2.8,

Since there's also a well-advertised decision that 2.7 will be the
last 2.x, such a 2.8 isn't planned.  But there's no reason to violate
the no-features-in-bugfix-releases policy.  We've seen violations
cause trouble and confusion, but we've not seen it be successful.

The policy wasn't arbitrary; let's stick to it.

  -Fred