[Python-Dev] GIL musings (was Re: Thoughts fresh after EuroPython)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Jul 28 13:52:37 CEST 2010

On 28/07/2010 12:43, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 28 Jul, 2010,at 12:56 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 28/07/2010 11:50, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>> nice if it
>> people
>> like our

>> remove the
>> most likely
>> to have a
>> >>
>> > This is the kind of approach that seems to hold the most promise of
>> > removing the GIL without incurring the single-threaded performance hit
>> > that has been the achilles heel of previous attempts at creating a
>> > free-threaded CPython implementation. With first IronClad and now PyPy
>> > blazing the trail in interfacing a garbage collected Python
>> > implementation with deterministic refcounting for C extension modules,
>> > it seems plausible that this kind of approach may eventually prove
>> > acceptable.
>> >
>> > Furthermore, the with statement now provides a superior alternative to
>> > application level tricks that previously relied on deterministic
>> > refcounting.
>> >
>> > While multi-threading does break down beyond a certain number of
>> > cores, it *is* possible to do safely (particularly using queues to
>> > pass references around) and can avoid plenty of serialisation overhead
>> > when dealing with sizable data structures
>> >

>> Breaking binary compatibility with C extensions would be "difficult"
>> once PEP 384 (stable binary ABI) has gone into effect. As you intimate,
>> Ironclad demonstrates that C extensions *can* be interfaced with a
>> different garbage collection system whilst maintaining binary
>> compatibility. It does impose constraints however (which is why the PyPy
>> c-ext implementors chose source compatibility rather than binary
>> compatibility).
> The HotPy author mentioned that he has a scheme where refcounts could
> be used by C extensions while the system natively uses a copying
> collector, but I got the impression that this was not fully fleshed
> out yet.
>
> Apple's Objective-C garbage collector has a simular feature: you can
> use CFRetain/CFRelease to manage refcounts and the GC will only
> collect objects where the CF reference count is 0.  This is a
> non-copying collector in a C environment though, which makes this
> scheme easier to implement than with a full generational copying
> collector.
>
> It should therefore be possible to have an interpreter where the VM
> uses a real GC and while extensions using the stable ABI could work as
> is, but that probably requires that Py_INCREF and Py_DECREF expand
> into function calls in the stable ABI.

Ironclad artificially inflates the refcount by one when objects are
created. If an object is eligible for garbage collection *and* the
refcount is 1 (so the C extension doesn't hold any references to it)
then Ironclad decrements the refcount to zero and nature takes its
course. That's a simplification of course (particularly around what
happens when an object is eligible for garbage collection but the
refcount is above 1).

This allows Py_INCREF and Py_DECREF to remain as macros - switching to
functions would have a performance cost I guess.

Michael