[Python-Dev] versioned .so files for Python 3.2

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 27 12:58:46 CEST 2010

On 26.07.2010 22:53, Ralf Schmitt wrote:
> Barry Warsaw<barry at python.org>  writes:
>> That's fine, but it's not the way Debian/Ubuntu works today.  PEP 3149
>> adoption will definitely remove significant complication for deploying
>> multiple Python versions at the same time on those systems.
>
> You're just moving that complication into python.

There is nothing which prevents you to still deploy/use python modules in
separate directories, and if you see a python package as a directory, nothing
will change for you with this PEP besides the naming of the extensions.

 > I'd much prefer to have cleanly separated environments by having
 > separate directories for my python modules.

That is your preference, but not what standards like the FHS talk about (i.e.
having different locations for data, docs, headers).

 > Sharing the source code and
 > complicating things will not lead to increased robustness.

Not true. Package managers like dpkg/apt-get, rpm/yum and maybe others do this
for ages. And yes, the added "complexity" of package managers does lead to
increased robustness.

   Matthias